By now you’ve heard the noise from the Millennials and the power of private video and photo sharing via Snapchat. Snapchat is not just a better replacement for traditional text messaging, it’s an all-consuming experience with the video camera first. With Snapchat you can create and curate private content for your company, brand, inner circle, band, venue or — as we’ll talk later — even candidates for President.
But what do I need to know about Snapchat that I can’t learn from Youtube videos?
The kids will tell you secrets to unlock codes and trophies on your Snapchat.
The adults (more often millennials) will show you to how to make entertaining video and animated content while seamlessly snapping one snap together with another, A.K.A. your Snap Story. So let’s get to the goods. Let’s discuss how to hustle with Snapchat.
14 Rules to Snap By:
1. Commit to video first. Videos are more engaging. Committing to video first is the most challenging aspect many new snappers face as they bring their 2D personalities streaming to video. Those who are experienced YouTube Channel creators may have an advantage of already working within the video arena.
Excellent example is Justin Kan’s Flex Your Freedom Muscle.
2. Don’t forget to introduce yourself. You need to remind your audience who you are and what it is that you do. Be authentic and unique. As your Snapchat audience grows be sure to re-introduce yourself every so often.
3. Keep your content fresh and consistent. Try and post 1 video every 12-24 hours to keep your hustle alive. Your Snapchat Stories will be alive and in the wild for 24 hours.
4. Go Local. Often times depending on service and availability you can have the option to post your stories to shared Snapchat Stories for the cities or locales you are in. Adding your stories to the city stories is a great way to increase exposure.
5. Put your Snapchat profile icon on your Twitter profile. Hacking Twitter to help grow your Snapchat audience is a new war of attracting more attention from your Twitter feed to your Snapchat Stories. By putting your Snapchat profile icon on your Twitter profile it will allow people to easily snap and add you as a Snapchat contact.
Snap fact: Pointing the your Snapchat camera at someone’s profile icon is like a QR code. Snapchat recognizes it so you can easily add them as a friend.
6. Pin a Tweet with your Snapchat profile icon. This tiny hack will make sure that your Snapchat address is available on Twitter and is easily found. To do this pin your Snapchat profile icon to your top tweet. Now users can easily add you while cruising Twitter.
7. Update your Facebook profile picture with your Snapchat profile icon. Using a similar strategy as highlighted above it is important that your Facebook friends know that you are available on Snapchat and specifically your Snapchat profile icon. This will make it easy for your friends to add you on Snapchat as they are sifting through their newsfeed.
8. Use Snapchat as an authoring and editing software suite. Using Snapchat for pictures and video gives you the flexibility to easily mock up your Snap with engaging content and prepare to share this information. Now, how you share from here is a another blog post for another day, but some immediate channels for repurposing content could include: Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Tumblr and reddit.
(No animals were hurt in this production: Photo: @JessZ)
9. You need to practice your snaps. You are only as good as your last video so you need to practice your new craft. Practice snapping and editing your content and continue to look for innovative opportunities to capture short videos often with motion or action. Become an expert in the Geofilters and stickers that are relevant to your message.
10. Follow the Godfathers of Snapcelebrity and politics. Each Snapchat celebrity will give you a unique and valuable glimpse into how each of these power users maintains and grows their Snapchat audience. Some of the best examples for use and content have been by the Democratic Campaign for President. Each campaign is looking for better opportunities to communicate their message with their growing audiences and Snapchat is at the forefront of the communication battle.
Follow these Influencers on Snapchat:
Diplo – DJ / International Superstar
JustinKan – YC / Technology Investor and Snapcelebrity
DJKhaled305 – Musician and tastemaker
HillaryClinton – Democratic Candidate for President, former Secretary of State
Bernie.Sanders – Democratic Candidate for President, VT
11. Put Snapchat profile icon on the back of your business cards. Give people an opportunity to communicate and share your content where they are. Your Snapchat address is a unique opportunity to communicate with your audience on their terms.
12. Use stickers beyond basic emojis. Think about Snapchat stickers that can be added with video and motion versus the old school emojis or expressions 🙂 or ;). Be fresh and use this as an opportunity to be creative with your message.
13. Use filters. My favorite use of filters is Diplo’s use of Geofilters. As he jets across the globe and moves from location to location, seeing the video snaps with the localized Geofilter gives us the experience of traveling with his entourage.
Snap fact: For additional sophistication, you can purchase On-Demand Geofilters for specific dates and locations. Snapchat’s recent monetizing effort gives you the ability to create a customized Geofilter for a specific period in time and using a certain designated area.
14. Schedule a Snapstorm. This is game time. Are you proficient in each of the steps above? Do you feel like you are ready to schedule a time to committing to snap about specific topics and questions? First, plan your message and even sketch out each Snap with sticky notes. Practice iterating through your content. Schedule with your social audiences so that your message has the maximum reach. Then press record and remember to speak slow and confidently and don’t forget to look into the camera. One of my favorite examples is from Fixx for a pitch competition for YC Fellowship on Snapchat.
Do you have other suggestions that you would like to share? I would love to hear your Snapchat hacks. In the meantime, get on your Snapchat Hustle!